Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Life as a Fountain


Last Sunday (8:30am Contemporary Service), was out first Campaign OUTFLOW (Outflow by Steve Sjogren and Dave Ping). We talked about how to offer ourselves to God every morning for Him to use our lives in any way He wants to. It's like the Holy Spirit is the water springing up from the middle of a fountain, and our lives overflow..refreshing everyone around us!

This is how Bill Hybels puts it in Just Walk Across the Room...Historically, there's been the opinion, that if you're talking to someone, and the plan of Salvation doesn't get explained, then it's been an "unsuccessful conversation". BUT, that's simply not true! On some occasions, the Holy Spirit may ask us to be an opener. We're supposed to break up some really hard soil in someone's heart so that the next person to come along might have some influence in planting a seed or two.

On other occasions, God may ask us to play the middle guy - carrying around a watering can and helping quench a few thirsty souls.

Still other times, we may get to pick really ripe fruit off of the vine.

Another way to look at it is this, many people begin their spiritual quest at a -10, and our role is to facilitate their movement to a -8. But thinking this way involves a deep level of trust that the Holy Spirit is the one who will follow them and complete the work.

1 Corinthians 3:6, "I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow."

Our efforts may feel fruitless at times, but if we just persevere the potential is colossal! THINK ABOUT IT...A priceless human being might be snatched from the clutches of a horrendous lifeless eternity because you took the time to walk across a room and allowed the Holy Spirit to use you!

Here's a great prayer to start off your day...
"Dear Lord, My life is in your hands. Use me to point someone toward you today. I promise to cooperate in any way I can. If you want me to say a word for you today, I'll do that. If you want me to keep quiet, but demonstrate love and servant-hood, by Your Spirit's power, I will. I'm fully available to you today, so guide me by Your Spirit. Amen."

1 comment:

Carmela said...

Oooh, I love that prayer. I pray something similar in the morning, but I haven't included as much detail. Very inspirational. Thanks, Sheri!