Friday, June 22, 2007

A New Command

In preparation for this Sunday's (Contemporary - 8:30am/Traditional - 10:30am) message, I've been studying a lot about that new commandment Jesus gave to His disciples...you remember...the one that said that they should love one another. In Leviticus 19:18 - Mosaic Law commanded that one should, "Love thy neighbor as thyself" but Jesus brought something new in John 13:34, "A new command I give you; Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." This was a "deeper, perfect, lay down your life" kind of love that Jesus was referring to. YOWZA!

It occurred to me that we can't hear this message enough. Because just when I think I may have learned how to love others...
...someone cuts me off on the freeway
...someone brings me the wrong food
...someone doesn't seem thankful enough for the things I do for them
...someone reveals their humanity...As I daily...every moment...reveal my own!

But the task is huge to love one another as He loved us. In fact, we just cannot do it...unless we are abiding in Him. And that's vital because there are so many who need to know that we are His disciples by our love for one another.

3 comments:

DonnaG said...

Hey Sheri: Great post. The difference between the Old Testament law to love the neighbor vs. Jesus' command to love one another as he has loved us. Same thing, but soooo different.

And, by the way, I love it when you reveal your humanity. It makes me laugh HARD!

Sheri Leming said...

Hi Donna,
Thanks for the response. YOU ROCK!!! The thought of your laughter makes me miss you EVEN MORE!!!!

Pastor Paul said...

Ok, I can deal with most of those things but...who brought you the wrong food? I want names.
Paul
P.S. It`s only 10:30PM as I post this...with the 3-hour time difference. I promise I`m getting my rest.
Love you much!