Thursday, June 7, 2007

Just Walk Across the Room




I've been reading a great book. It was written by Bill Hybels, and it's titled, "Just Walk Across the Room". It's about evangelism, and how it can be as simple as taking a walk across a room and talking to that one person who is standing alone...maybe they're in the lunchroom at work, at a party, in your neighborhood, or at school. If we can step out of our "circle of conversational comfort", you know, those groups of people we often find ourselves clinging to, where it's easy and effortless for us to engage? Just Walk Across the Room. And it isn't about telling someone that they're going to hell. It's about being friendly, and engaging them in a conversation about their life. Just basically, being a friend. I highly recommend this book, it's been very inspiring to me, especially during our, "Adopt a Friend" campaign in June here at Faith Christian Assembly.

Can it really be that simple? I believe it can. After all, we're not really the ones doing the "work" anyway...it's the Holy Spirit that compels people. To quote from the book, "The key is this: my objective is not to contrive ways to 'get someone saved'; rather, my objective is to walk when He prompts me to walk, talk when He says to talk, fall silent when I'm at risk of saying too much, and stay put when He leads me to stay put."

So our challenge this week, is for each one of us to prayerfully take one of our You're Invited to my Church cards, and give it to one person...just one. God only knows what can happen. What if redirecting a person's forever really is as simple as walking across a room?

No comments: