Wednesday, March 28, 2007

As some are doing...

Hebrews 10:25, New Century Version says, "You should not stay away from the church meetings, as some are doing, but you should meet together and encourage each other. Do this even more as you see the day coming."

I would imagine in our society today, this isn't the most popular scripture. It is, however, a scripture that we in ministry love. The reason I love it so much is because it gets right down to why we should come together regularly to church. I'm so glad it doesn't say, "You should not stay away from the church meetings, as some are doing, but you should meet together, and listen to the sermon that tells you how bad you've been all week, and how mad God is at you..."

No, the scripture tells us the reason not to stay away from church is because we will miss out on encouraging each other.

This is something that I'd like to say to Bill Gates, but as our paths rarely cross, I decided to blog about it. I read a quote from him this week...

In an interview with TIME magazine, Bill Gates is quoted as saying: "Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning."

While I agree with Bill that religion is not very efficient, I pray that one day Mr. Gates comes to know a relationship with Jesus Christ. Efficiency doesn't even begin to describe a relationship with Jesus, and His Bride, the Church and the encouragement that comes from that!

Which makes me think of another verse...

Matthew 16:18, "...upon this rock I will build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."

1 comment:

DonnaG said...

Bill Gates is a nerd. God Rocks. Send Bill a postcard to your first service. He might surprise you. Tell him you a fellow Seattlean. :)