Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The (GREAT) Depression of our Day: The Spiritual Depression


The more I learn about the Great Depression, the more I find myself drawing parallels to where we are at here in America in 2008. Of course, I'm speaking spiritually, not necessarily financially. The images of people standing in line for bread...standing in line to be one of the lucky ones who gets to work that day...very hard times. But I have to wonder, if we are any better off, living in our time.

It hit me the other day that we are living in a great Spiritual Depression. The tragedy of a Spiritual Depression, is that people generally don't realize their pitiful state. The spiritual hunger gets filled by things that don't satisfy. There is no standing in line for church...there is no hoarding of God's Word...but a drive toward things that will never fill us up.

One of the scariest things about living in our day, is learning how to raise our kids in the middle of this Spiritual Depression. Beth Moore talks about a little dog she had that was crippled, and how when the dog had puppies, they ended up limping just like their mother. We don't want our kids to take on the 'limp' of this world.

How do we do it? I think God's Word is full of direction for us. I cringe when I hear people say how they wished there was an instruction manual on how to raise their kids. GUESS WHAT??? There is! The Bible tells us so much about our precious little ones and how to raise them. And of course, prayer is key. Those things that arise in our kid's lives that seem to have no solution....God is always with us to guide us, but we must humble ourselves enough to ask Him.

I'm very concerned about the time in which we live. So much so, in fact that we are delegating this Sunday, February 17th - in our 8:30am service, "KID'S DAY". We will be having a baby dedication, a Sermon entitled, "Raising Kids in the midst of a Spiritual Depression" as well as special prayer for our kids.

Before Ezra began his journey to Jerusalem, he says,

Ezra 8:21, "...I proclaimed a fast, so that we might humble ourselves before our God and ask Him for a safe journey for us and for our children..."
Good prayer...good for Ezra back then...Good for us today!

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

I love Kids Day. It was sooo much fun when we had it and we intend on it being an annual event. I mean, mother's day and father's day are annual events. The Kid's deserve to be recognized and treated with royalty too. I can't wait to hear how it went.