Friday, August 24, 2007

Spiritual Disciplines


Unfortunately, I think when many of us think of the word, "discipline" we often get an image something like this one (I'm obviously dating myself...I doubt anyone sits in a corner anymore).
This weekend, in the Contemporary Service (Sunday, 8:30am) I will be speaking on The Spiritual Disciplines....or at least 4 of them:
Meditation
Prayer
Fasting
Study
I think our culture is missing out on so much richness, because we live in a society that doesn't value discipline, unless it's to gain wealth, or get you in great physical shape.
Too often our barren lives are a result of not cherishing those four elements of discipline. They bring such richness to our lives, not to mention incredible joy. Too often, I think we believe they will do the opposite...and turn us into holier-than-thou Pharisees. But if we remember, it wasn't the 'sinners' that Jesus so often rebuked...it was the Pharisees.
So, I think each day before our feet hit the ground, we all have a decision to make...Are we going to conform to what society tells us? Can we really trust our culture to show us how to live?
OR...
Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you.
(Romans 12:2,The Message)

No comments: