Friday, May 9, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!



Well, Sunday is the big day when we celebrate mom! In our Contemporary Service this Sunday at 8:30am, my message title is something all moms can relate to, I'm sure... The title is, "We want you to do for us whatever we ask!" I'm speaking out of Mark 10:35-34. It isn't your traditional, Mother's Day message, generally about a mom in the Bible that we can all model our mothering after...

No, this is about Jesus and His disciples. Often whenever Jesus spoke to His disciples, or whenever I read of things that they would occasionally say to Him, I think of motherhood. Because I think they often responded to Jesus in a child-ish way...rarely understanding Jesus, or the Kingdom. The title's quote is taken from verse 35, "we want you to do for us whatever we ask." Sound familiar? I believe this sentence represents the heart of all of all of us, when you think about it. It's the heart of every crying baby, and it's also the heart of everybody on the freeway with road rage...I want this, and I want it now....

But Jesus taught His disciples a different mindset. And all of us moms must teach our little ones {and ourselves} the same one...

Mark 10:43, "...whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 44-and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. 45-For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

No comments: