Thursday, April 12, 2007

Nuts or Sane? Check the Ear

I was out the other day, and I spotted someone seemingly talking to themselves. Then I discovered she had a hands-free cell phone ear device. Suddenly, I no longer thought she was nuts, she suddenly became a normal human being.

I'm sure you have had similar experiences. It's the "new normal". People seemingly talking to themselves used to be disturbing. Now days, we just assume they are on the telephone.

My daughter, who works at a grocery store said she was ringing up groceries for a customer the other day and the lady said something to her, and she responded back. My daughter thought she and the lady were having a conversation, but they weren't. The lady finally realized that my daughter was responding back to her, and seemingly annoyed, pointed to her ear.

I sometimes wonder what those people who really do talk to themselves think about those who use the ear phone device. They probably think they're nuts too. Who knows...when you think about it...we've come to a place in our society where we can't leave our homes, our cars, our jobs, even go to the grocery store or a restaurant without a phone hanging off of our ears...maybe we aren't so sane afterall...

Mark 4:9, 24 - Jesus said, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear. Consider carefully what you hear"

No comments: